Did you know that 8 in 10 global Internet users now own a mobile device? According to Global Web Index, people spend an average of two hours on mobile devices daily, and younger users ages 16 to 24 “devote 43% of their total internet time to mobile.”
In the U.S., 85% of 18 to 29-year-olds own a smartphone in 2015 (Pew Research Center). Incorporating certain elements in your mobile-friendly website is essential when increasing web traffic of the young demographic to your website.
“According to estimates, Millennials will spend $1.3 trillion annually in the US, or around $10 trillion globally in 2015.” Total Youth Research
4 Elements of a mobile website optimized for young users
Fast website loading time
“A one second delay in page response can result in a 7% reduction in conversions.” Kissmetrics
Share tools for several social media platforms
“71% of teens use more than one social network site.” Pew Research Center
Continually updated content that is easy to find
“74% of online consumers get frustrated with websites when content appears that has nothing to do with their interests.” Janrain
Use of photos and videos
“40% of 16-24-year-olds watch more than 30 minutes of short form video over multiple sessions every day” Deloitte
Some reasons why the young demographic prefers mobile devices
- Access to the newest information anywhere, anytime
- Ability to share content anywhere, anytime.
- Access to real-time content through social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagam.
- Feel productive and avoid boredom
- According to a study by Pew Research Center, “93% of 18 to 29-year-old smartphone owners in the experience sampling study used their phone at least once to avoid being bored.”
Take a look at this infographic by Total Youth Research on the young demographic’s use of mobile:
Contact us at the RG Media Company in Eugene, Oregon to get help with mobile-friendly website production and marketing.